Sunday, November 14, 2004

My photo just got published!


Tuli copy(bw)
Originally uploaded by devalina.
If you are a person who hates self-promotion STOP READING RIGHT NOW.

When I was in Bangladesh a year ago, I met the sweetest little girl named Tuli. Tuli was 6 years old at the time and worked for a family full-time as a gate keeper. Westerners might call her an "indentured servant" but for many young kids in Bangladesh like Tuli, working in an environment where they don't have to worry about food or shelter is the best option. What I love about this girl is her smile and her hopeful eyes. I guess Tuli for me is like "the Afghan girl" for National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry.





There are some people who you photograph only once in your lifetime, yet their image stays with you forever. I recently read about how 17 years after he took the famous photograph, McCurry searched in the Pakistani refugee camp for the Afghan girl. It was a miracle that he found her alive in such horrible conditions of a war-torn country. That was such an inspiration to me, because for the rest of my life I would like to keep in touch with Tuli too, and make sure she keeps her head up. I guess thats where the comparison stops.... I can't really compare my photo of Tuli with McCurry's of "the Afghan girl" because what made the photo of the Afghan girl so striking is the horror in her eyes, and Tuli's eyes are hopeful.

I am really excited and honored that
Links
published my photo of "The smallest gatekeeper in Bangladesh" in Issue #2.




So right now I am trying to get family, friends (and complete strangers with an interest in South Asian American writing) to subscribe to this magazine. I would be really grateful for your support! Here is how to subscribe.... please mail a check for $15 made out to Catamaran SAAW (for 2 issues) to:

Catamaran Magazine
C/O Shona Ramaya
45 Barbara Jean Street
Grafton, MA 01519

AND, send an email to: subscriptions@catamaranmagazine.com
with your name and mailing address.

Thanks!

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Fly said...

hey buddy,
congrats on getting published. i told you before when you gave me that CD that i thought that pic was really awesome, but ill say it again. Its awesome!! It totally shows one of those rare instances in what we call poverty and harship tht is still very beautiful -- "hope".

since we've become chill you keep on amazing me with all these different hidden talents. you totally rock dude, but i gotta admit you leave me wanting more. hope that doesnt sound selfish, but you got skills, use em.

ok enough with the ass kissing...i want you to keep doing more, but hmm...maybe ill send in some of my pics or maybe even some of my poetry. im working on a poem called love affair about bengal. maybe ill submit that when im done. we'll have to see. otherwise there is another poem i can submit called uncomfortably numb about being numbed to the poverty in south asia after being there for too long. anyway, hit me up with some thoughts...and keep on keepin on. you def inspire me to keep doing stuff, i doubt i inspire you in the same way, but ill def try to at least encourage you. blessed peace - mr. fly

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Anais Nin said...

Wow! Congratulations! That is too wonderful. That picture is beautiful-congrats on thinking to submit it. We all need the world to see what wonderful pieces of art we can create. XOXO-Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home