Sunday, November 07, 2004

Dubya


dubya
Originally uploaded by devalina.
Many friends are really depressed about Bush getting re-elected..... here is what some of them said:

Joel- "Now one thing is definitely clear. This is THEIR country." (Their meaning Evangelical Christians I guess)

Jay- "They aren't the freaks. WE are."

Maybe I am not as upset because I was mentally prepared for Kerry to lose.

So Tuesday morning, I tried to vote before work. From 7 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. I stood in a long line at the Cassidy Elementary School. I had to leave before I even had the chance to vote because I would have been late for work, and honestly I have never seen a line that long on Election Day and didn't expect it to take that long.

When I got to school, a lot of my kids were wearing Kerry stickers and my mood was optimistic. After work, my mom and I voted together at 6ish, when the line was much shorter.

Around 8 o'clock, while most of America was watching the results on television, Dominika and I decided to spend the time at an Astanga yoga class. It was nice, it got our mind off of stuff.

Then we were gonna meet up with friends at a MOVE ON "Victory Party" but after the yoga class, we quickly glanced at the TVs in the cardio room and saw how Bush was kicking Kerry's ass and decided that the Victory Party would be depressing so we bailed.

I fell asleep around 10 that night and we had our first field trip of the year the next day. When we got back from the Apple Farm, another teacher informed me that Kerry conceded.

A lot of friends have been talking about moving to Canada, or another country. I thought about it too. The cover of this week's City Paper was a guide to living in Canada.

But if all the progressives leave the U.S. doesn't that make the Evangelical Christian movement even stronger? I think what we should do is become more progressive and learn from their grassroots techniques. We should become better informed ourselves, and talk to our neighbors, people on the street and subways, and discuss politics intelligently and not spit out rhetoric.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am here to stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home