Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Update: What I am doing about balding

October 15th, 2007 (Before)January 15th 2008 (After)

A lot of people have been asking me for updates, but as it takes time to see results I have waited till exactly 3 months later from my original post.

This is by no means a respectable scientific experiment, but rather a casual method. I took the photo from the same angle at the same location with the same lighting, on shampooed, blow dried and brushed hair.

The good news is that I HAVE been losing less hair, but I can't attribute it solely to the onion and honey "tonic," since I haven't been religious about it. I've been doing the onion and honey tonic once every two to three weeks. I say bad news because I don't know what to attribute my thicker-looking hair to, since I've implemented many small changes. There is no control group.

The changes include:
1) I switched shampoos (LUSH Cinnamon Spice Shampoo bar)
2) Stopped wearing tight hats unless absolutely necessary
3) Switched to an ionic blowdryer (Conair makes a good, affordable one)
4) Onion and honey tonic once every 2-3 weeks (More would be better, but who has the time and patience? I also found that the smaller onions don't smell as bad)
5) Oiling the scalp once a week, personally I don't think it matters whether or not its coconut oil or Amla oil, I haven't noticed a difference in oil type.
6) Eating better... more fruits, vegetables and proteins and less enriched flour and sugar..... I've also eliminated coffee and smoking.
7) When I need to tie my hair up, like for the gym or yoga, I don't use rubber bands but rather those hair ties that are made from a stocking-like material.... it doesn't leave bumps in your hair either! You can get them at CVS.
8) Stopped coloring my hair

I will still continue to update and look forward to hear from others who are combatting hair loss the natural way! Thanks to everyone who wrote supporting messages and shared their stories. I like hearing your stories!

6 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger Trish said...

Hi space cadet! Please see my post under your original blog with only the original picture of your hair thinning...we gals need some answers, please! You've had great success and we would love some insight!! Thanks so much!! .....Fashiongal

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your two posts and was wondering if the onion treatment is working for you. Any updates?

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first pic was obviously taken with a flash and the second pic without flash, and that's the main reason why your hair looks improved in the flashless "after" pic. Could you post an "after" pic using flash?

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with anonymous 206am - the after picture is not as clear as the before. could you repost a clearer after shot please?

i am a fellow balding woman. its unpleasant, and difficult to accept and be accepted. I've tried special shampoo and expensive hair tonics exclusive from hair salons.
i dont feel these solutions are working.

i've heard women baldness affects about 70% of women. any one else in this situation, please post, you're not alone. it may not help your hair grow back but it does make it easier to accept.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Deepgreen said...

Hey Space Cadet!

I am so impressed with your improvement. I have similar hair loss to yours and have become really depressed. Can you please post on how you make your "tonic"? Is the honey sticky and hard to wash out? I really hope you post and tell us the recipe, I'm sure it would help a lot of people out =)
You've renewed my hope!

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey everyone

i am only 20.About a year ago i started loosing hair. I always had very long beautiful brown hair but with time it started changing.Every time i wash my hair so much falls out...its scary. It became very noticable just recently. I cant stop worrying about it.I never smoked and always ate healthy.I also use organic shampoos and never coloured my hair. It really upsets me. I am guessing that its because of stress in college,not sleeping well and drinking too much coffee.
It's good to know that i am not the only one...but i really wish there were non of us with such a problem. I will give that onion and honey lotion a go and will see if it helps! I hope it helps all of us :) Thanks alot Space Cadet!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home