Saturday, December 23, 2006

Preaching cabbie

Running late, I took a cab to work this morning. The driver was a man from Sudan. He asked me if I was going home and I said no, I'm going to work.

He paused and asked, "Are you Indian?"
"No, my family is from Bangladesh."
"Oh, so you are Muslim?"
"No, I'm Hindu. We are minorities there."
"Do you want to become a Muslim?" (WHAT?! Gut says to Brain..... Ok, stay calm)
"No, I think I'm gonna stay Hindu."
"Would you convert for your husband?" (Double WHAT?! Brain responds to Gut...... stay cool, stay cool)

"Nah" I said getting uncomfortable. I thought, is this dude coming on to me? Or does he just try to convert all his passengers? Trying to make me his 3rd wife or something? If I wasn't already late for work and a few minutes away from my destination I would have gotten out, but I thought I'd stick it out. Then it just got weirder, he started sort of BEGGING me. "Oh come on, I can teach you how to be a Muslim." I acted like I couldn't hear. What sort of conversion technique is this? Begging?

So yeah, I got to work ok. And I made it out of the cab still Hindu.

3 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger MissP said...

I love your writing :-) Be more frequent!

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That if fuckin hysterical. Sorry about the cursing but I've never been in a taxi where the driver is trying to convert me. Next time I am, I'll let you know...

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger MissP said...

About 6 years ago, a sikh cabbie took me on a Great Adventure ride around 8th street, wailing and softly banging his head against the steering wheel. It was a terrifying 5 minutes before he finally turned to me and said, ever so calmly - "Ms. I can't take you." Unlike your cabbie, I think my guy was just homesick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home