Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Disco Comfortably Numb

This post goes out to Bangalore transplant...

So the other weekend I took my teenage cousin out to a suburban mall. Out of the many stores to browse, she settled on one of those that make cheaply-made, yet expensive clothing. So this is what I have figured out about teenagers.... they don't care about the quality of clothes.... as long as its sold in a store with sexy lighting and sexy music. Music that makes you think of future parties you will be going to the next few months. Another thing I learned about teenagers is that they don't just TRY ON their clothes, they also DANCE in the clothes in the fitting room so they can see what they look like in it when doing "the wu tang".... and thats why there is always a long line coming out of the fitting room.

When I was a teenager, I told myself , "When I become an adult, I will be accepting of 'teenager' music." Now I am an adult and I take it back. Music that kids listen to these days suck. It was proven that one afternoon at the mall.... so I'm waiting for my cousin in the fitting room and this horrible disco song that I never heard comes on and I'm mouthing the words. It turns out that some disco group did a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb."

Imagine Comfortably Numb the way you remember it. Now take away Floyd's darkly subtle, atmospheric and melancholy vibes. Replace it with a fast-paced clubby beat. Now take away Roger Water's deep and haunting voice and replace it with some high-pitched-Bee-Gees-sounding shit.

The group that does it is called "The Scissor Sisters." They should be shot.

3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean...about the music definitely but also about kids nowadays. It makes me realize how lucky we were when we were their age.

For some reason, I just feel like we were much more unsuperficial (is that a word?). Maybe trying to make them actually WRITE something using their IMAGINATION in class might have an effect.

Who knows anymore?

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Rama Rama said...

I used to think that there is no way one could remix a Floyd number. Sadly I have been proven wrong. I really feel saddened about how popular music has become so cosmetic and planned out. I wonder if Floyd, Dylan or Billy Joel would have become big if they came out today instead of yesteryear...

PS: I am with you on taking a sissor to "The Scissor Sisters" :-)

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Roger Waters doesn't have a problem cashing the royalty checks from the Scissor Sisters, then I'm not going to lose sleep either.

My generation is responsible for Debbie Gibson (not exactly Iggy Pop)...I didn't feel lucky at that age. Then came hair metal...

I doubt a teenager would care what old people kicking and screaming toward thirty - like myself - think about their music. They shouldn't.

Scissor Sisters aren't so bad, but they make Erasure look like Hells Angels.

No need for scissors,
A.D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home