Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I love you T


meandt
Originally uploaded by Tales of a lost space cadet.
T is my best friend from childhood. We did everything together. She is the girl standing next to me in all my birthday pictures starting from age 6. We learned how to ride two wheelers together, we took ballet, tap, jazz, folk dancing and violin classes together. Our parents made us sleep in the same bed so we would get chicken pox together (it didn’t work). And as we got older, our friendship got tested. Right before our first big ballet recital at the Academy of Music (we were 8 years old), she got her first epileptic seizure. She gave up ballet after that and so did I. Besides, ballet was no fun without her. In middle school new friends entered our worlds, we developed different interests, and with each year we became more night and day. Even our roles changed. Sometimes I was her friend, sometimes I had to be her sister, and sometimes I had to be her mother…. And she did the same for me. The doctor said that with age, the epilepsy would go away. It didn’t.

I can’t imagine going through any difficult time without her. She told me I was smart when I was failing macro, she told me I was beautiful after I got dumped, she even told me how strong I was when my dad was dying in the hospital and I felt like anything could break me in half. But when T said it, I believed it.

So what do you do when your best friend is in the hospital getting her head cut open? You cry, you try not to throw up, you try to distract yourself with other things. I’m remembering all our good times, and wondering if she will come out of the surgery as the same T.

1 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Fly said...

There is only one T. That's something you know right from the start. Even without a chunk of her brain - she won't change. Because she does everything from the heart.

So if you get worried, afriad or even weak. Just do what she'd do take a deep breath - open your mouth and just speak.

And then next thing you know - when they finally fix her dome - u can sit down with T and read my corny poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home