Wednesday, June 22, 2005

My blog is officially a year old

Yay! On June 18th, "Tales of a lost space cadet" turned 1.

A year ago, I created this blog not because I had something important to say, but because I was so damn bored. The kids went home for the summer, I had a 3-story house all to myself, no job, no boyfriend, did I say no job?.... Therefore, no money. Time off is no fun without money.

As I reflect a year later, I've come to one conclusion..... blogging is awesome! It's probably one of the few forums where introverts can be the extroverts. Sure it can be scary (as of 12:30 a.m. June, 22nd this blog has gotten 3,400 hits and I have NO CLUE who most of those people are) but I have to admit it gives me a bit of a "nerd rush."

Through blogging I learned,

1) How easy it is to lie to co-workers on Monday morning when they ask you "what did you do this weekend?" and you tell them how you partied so hard when you really spent Friday night making smoothies and teaching yourself HTML so you can make your blog look cooler.

2) That grown men who don't know each other can and will fight over who has the smallest penis on your "Comments" section.

3) People prefer reading about real life on blogs, fiction only feels right when you are holding a book (not when you are reading it off a computer screen)

4) That my guy friends totally crush on my mom (BTW, I don't care if you do, just don't tell me)

5) That all people are insightful, superficial, arrogant, vulnerable, self-promoting, anonymous, pushers, haters all depending on the day. And there is a beauty in the honesty of that. Human beings are too complicated to be labeled (like newspaper columnists). Maybe blogs are popping up everywhere like pimples on a teenager because people can't relate anymore to the traditional news media, where violence prevails and the only place where you can find any emotion is the sports section.

6) Total strangers will ask you out for gelato if they like your blog (FYI I said no. Even though I was 50% intrigued, the other 50% that was creeped out had greater power)

That's all for now, I'm working on my birthday hangover.

7 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Fly said...

was that grown men comment aimed at me?

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Dev said...

It was aimed at the both of you! :)

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Join what?

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Fly said...

I don't think I ever mentioned my penis or anyone else's penis for that matter. I think its unfair to bring me down to that level. ha

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Fly said...

SC,

I think you and I started blogging around the same time. Granted, I was on xangay before this, but that shit was wack and I never really used it.

Since you're gonna share what you've learned, in true copy cat form, I guess I will too (Only fair since you bit off of my blogger layout).

Lets start with what I learned about myself:

1) I am much more cynical online than I am in person.

2) I am less dependent on people since I have room to vent.

3) I bore people less in person - most people dispose of "garbage thoughts" in dream state, but I don't sleep - so this is my space for that.

4)I like reading my own words - even if they are riddled with misspellings and grammar mistakes.

5)I don't really give a shit about what people think anymore.


As far as what I've learned thus far from other people.

1) People grow blogger-testicles they normally wouldn't have in the real world.

2) People are quick to brown nose when there is no reason to or the object of brown nosing doesn't really deserve it.

3) The most pathetic qualities and insecurities of people (myself included) are exposed and can be used as "character" building blocks for the future.

4) People who don't know you - somehow feel akin to you because they read something you wrote.

5) Its easy to tell when people are lying to you when they tell you one thing in person - but their posts and the comments on their posts reveal something completely different.

6) Its easy to get stalked and allow unwelcomed pricks into your life.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Dev said...

I swear it's not my real penis. Why don't you get back to work instead of surfing www.chickswithdicks.com?

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Fly said...

Contrary to popular belief Space Cadet is very much a female.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home