Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Fuck SEPTA

Dear Septa official,

I am writing to voice a complaint about the unacceptable lack of service on the Route 65 today.

Today the 6:25, the 6:45 and the 7:05 p.m. Route 65 buses never came to 69th Street Terminal. There were 50 irate patrons waiting in 90 degree weather. I finally called the 215-580-7800 number on my cell phone and after finally reaching a human being, I was put on hold for 4 PEAK-TIME minutes. The woman on the phone told me that there was an accident on City Line Avenue and that is what caused the lateness.

The accident part I understand. Accidents DO happen. What I don't understand is that in ONE HOUR not one announcement was made to alert the patrons (including elderly people and infants who thank God did not die of heat stroke) of the situation. In over one whole hour, not one SEPTA official came and told everyone what was going on.

If SEPTA was an organized and courteous organization, than announcements would have been made (so patrons could have made other travel arrangements), shuttle buses would have been provided, and every patron would receive a voucher for a free ride. You need to do SOMETHING right to keep the customers you have.

SEPTA customers pay good money, in fact much more than in other U.S. cities and cities abroad, where the service is far superior. It makes us as customers wonder - what are we paying for?

I am writing to you because I want my money back. I want $6.20 specifically; $5 for the cab fare I had to pay to get home, and $1.20 for my cell phone (8 minutes X .15 cents per minute.) I can provide receipts. Since I can't provide a specific dollar amount for "being inconvenienced," I won't include it.

Please keep this in mind: Just because you have a monopoly in Southeastern Pennsylvania, it doesn't mean that you get to do things half-assed. You have a duty, you have a responsibility. People's jobs, and sometimes lives depend on it.

Sincerely,
Space Cadet

6 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Fly said...

Apparently Philly has the worst and yet most expensive public transportation in the world...but at least you have public transportation. NJtransit doenst do much.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NJ transit is pretty extensive given how overtly suburban NJ is. NJT is actually the "nation's third largest provider of bus and rail services"(from NJT website).Not all of our towns are pefectly connected, true, but often that's because those communities do not want public transport as they are affraid of property values fallings. And arguably, NJ transit does a far better job than major cities like LA and DC when it comes to convenience.

The second largest is the Chicago Transportation Authority, and I couldn't find the largest, but it's most likely Laidlaw Transport.

-anik

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Fly said...

I just meant in terms in getting around in a city. transportation within Central Jersey for instance. Have you ever tried to take the M10 to get to Menlo Park from Highland Park. Its a huge pain and its not that cheap either.

NJT does well at getting me from NJ to OUT OF NJ. but im not feeling it on a city to city level.

On a related note, it looks like cabs in Philly will also jump up a whopping 27% fare increase is expected this summer. But again...at least getting a cab in Philly or NYC is relatively easy.

Honestly, I think my emotion is built on the premise that its time for me to get out the suburbs.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually had to make that journey once, i got fed up and called in favor from a friend with wheels.

city to city does bite in nj.

damn, philly cabs were pretty expensive as they were, now i'm gona have to get a car to move down there.

out of the burbs is a good call, just try not end up in the boonies in the transition though. hics are a breed apart.

-anik

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Spacecadet: I know it's not at all funny, especially because it's so damn hot out there, but I am laughing at the thought of your polite self on the phone with the surly SEPTA bitch. xoxo, kristen

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Fly said...

Newskag, I must say in SC's defense, despite her Mickey Mouse voice (jk), like most south asian women she can bring the heat and I'm not just saying that cus she's down with curry.

When SC gets motivated she's capable of giving even a SEPTA-sized bitch something to worry about.

Rock on with yo bad self

 

Post a Comment

<< Home