Friday, June 25, 2004

Air Guitar Champion

As if I needed another reason to be proud to be Asian.

Two years in a row, the winners of the national Air Guitar Championships have been Asian! This year I am ESPECIALLY proud because the winner is female. Her name is Miri Park, and I think she is awesome.

Thank you Miri, for being a living example, and for smashing the submissive Asian woman stereotype. The characterization that Asian women are supposed to be seen and not ..... umm, heard. Oh wait, you can't hear air guitar. Nevermind......

Many people trace back the air guitar phenomenon back to 1983, when Tom Cruise ran around his house in his drawers, socks and sunglasses playing air guitar to "Old Time Rock and Roll" in the movie "Risky Business." Since then, the famous duo "Bill and Ted" popularized air guitar in their movies "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey." Ted was played by Kenny Reeves, who plays guitar in real life, in his band Dog Star?.... or something lame like that.... and Bill, ummm, whats his name? Hey! What ever happened to Bill? I wonder what he is up to now.

Anyways, I digress. The point I am trying to make is that most of the famous images of air guitarists are of WHITE DUDES, but as the National Air Guitar Championships prove, Asians are by far the best at playing fake instruments. Here is the photo to prove it:

2 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Dev said...

Before I start getting hate mail from the Keanu Reeves fan club, grammar snobs and copy editors..... I KNOW I spelled "Keanu Reeves" wrong. Stupid SpellCheck changed it to "Kenny". I also remember that Reeves is a quarter Chinese and a quarter Hawaiian, and that he was born in Lebanon. I'm sorry I called him a "white dude."

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Fly said...

Since I can't spell with or without spell check, I'm gonna refer to mister point break as Neo. Neo regardless of his mixed heritage is still viewed as a white male by the general public, just as Bangladeshi's are viewed as 'Indian' or in my case puerto rican. frankly, the only thing that makes me happy is the art of air guitar itself. this fact was revitalized during my car ride home when my friend played AC/DC in the car, and despite my reputation as a hip hop junkie I was able to relive my life as a long haired 13 year old rocker. Air guitar rules and most folks can't even begin to understand the spirtual transformation that is undertaken by one he can breath the music the way we asians can. Rock on Miri and all asian rockers out there. I am so DRUNK!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home