Thursday, June 24, 2004

Calling 9-1-1

The day started out just like any other day. I walked out of the house..... ran rather.... and I was heading towards 63rd and Lansdowne, to the 10 trolley stop, at the same time I catch it every day, at 12:30 p.m.

Just as I turned the corner, two men called out to me "Dont go there, they got guns!" and another man said "Stop running!" I thought they were just like other ghetto guys, the ones who will say anything to a girl to get her to look in their direction. I ignored them and kept running.

When I get to the 63rd and Lansdowne intersection I see 6 grown men fighting in front of Westbrook Pharmacy and one man started hitting another so hard that he fell in the middle of the street.... lying across the trolley tracks, but he kept hitting him.

The disturbing part was that there were tons of people around, residents who came out of their homes to watch, pedestrians and construction workers, BUT NO ONE DID ANYTHING! They looked on, like it was entertainment, like it was a boxing match on t.v.

I called 9-1-1 and the woman asked if there were any weapons involved. I said "I didn't see any, but when I was running down the street two men stopped me and said not to go there because they have guns." As soon as she heard that, she sent the police out and in less than two minutes, there were at least three cop cars at the intersection. Although the men dispersed and went into homes, cars and behind the pharmacy, the cops found them and arrested them.

I got on the bus with a man who was also at the scene, and he said he saw someone with a 9. Thats the same type of gun the police have!

I feel so angry that this is happening in my neighborhood. I used to be really proud of this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home